In the past few years, videoconference interviewing is becoming more and more popular. The current specific situation increases this phenomenon. Therefore you have to pull all the cards on your side for this one to be a success.
Personally, I find this type of interview more complicated than a physical one. The preparation phase is the key to success.
With this posting, I would like to share my experience with you and help you to work on this particularly crucial preparation. Some recommendations will no doubt appear obvious to you, however, it is necessary to remind and respect them.
First of all, we will talk about the technical aspect:
- Pay attention to your internet connexion! Be careful, the signal quality changes depending on the location.
- Use appropriate equipment for your videoconference! It would be a pity to find out that your computer is not equipped with a webcam or that the software used by the interlocutor has not been installed.
- Prepare proper professional attire! Make it as if it were a physical appointment. It would be a shame to omit the bottom.
- Position your webcam correctly! Choose the best angle to highlight yourself.
- Have a flipchart with your notes and questions placed behind your computer screen. It is very useful and will prevent you from bending your head down to read your notes.
Once the technical aspect is perfectly settled, let’s tackle the “environment” subject:
- Communicate with your family and friends to explain to them that you are going to carry out the interview of your “life” through videoconference and that you need their help and, above all, their calm. Ideally, this should be anticipated beforehand, even when planning your appointment.
- Choose the best room so that you are at ease. You need to feel comfortable. Imagine that you are going to talk with someone sitting opposite you. Avoid a chair where you would adopt a semi-recumbent position.
Finally, once all the conditions are met, it is important to make a few reminders to start your conversation:
- The gaze! The person you are talking to must feel that you are looking them in the eye. It is very simple, just fix your camera.
- The tone of voice! One must feel your dynamism in your communication.
- The attitude! Be calm and do not gesticulate in all directions to avoid going out of the webcam’s field of vision.
This thorough preparation will allow you to approach your interview without stress or much less stressed.
I hope that this posting will make you smile and above all allow you to land the job of your dreams.
I wish you all excellent interviews.
Take care of yourself!!
This article was witten by Antoine Aliotti, Senior Recruitment Consultant, Partner & Head of Development of the French Market for Elkho Group.